1801 – President Brigham Young is born in Whitingham, Vermont.
1833 – The Prophet Joseph receives the revelation known as Doctrine and Covenants 95. In the revelation, the Lord chastises the Church for not moving forward with the building of the Kirtland Temple and encourages them to complete it so that he may endow his people with power from on high.
1834 – Being Sunday, Zion’s Camp spent the day in camp. “We had preaching, and many of the inhabitants of the town came to hear’ (History of the Church, 2:78). Nearly 250 local inhabitants joined the Camp for the day and was described as “the Most unusual of the entire journey.’
1847 – On Brigham Young’s 46th birthday, the first company of pioneers traveled twelve miles along the east bank of the North Platte River. They had traveled 543 miles from Winter Quarters. They camped near the abandoned Ft. Platte and only two miles from Ft. Laramie. They met two brethren that were from the Mississippi company of Saints who had wintered in Pueblo, Colorado and had traveled to Ft. Laramie to wait the arrival of the Pioneer company.
1872 – The first issue of the Woman’s Exponent, a paper owned and published by Latter-day Saint women, is published in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is published until 1914.
1896 – The first issue of De Ster, a monthly Church periodical in Dutch, is published in Rotterdam, Holland.
1919 – General conference is held after being postponed for two months due to the worldwide influenza epidemic.
1950 – A life-size statue of Brigham Young is placed on display in the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.. President George Albert Smith attends the ceremony.
1959 – Elder Mark E. Peterson dedicated Taiwan for the preaching of the gospel.
1969 – The first stake in Arkansas is organized.
1976 – The first missionaries called specifically to help with the Church Educational System, Elder John and Sister Patricia Albrect, are called to serve at the Church’s Nephi High School in the Marshall Islands.
1978 – The Lord revealed to His prophet and to the members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles that “the long-promised day ha[d] come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood, with power to exercise its divine authority, and enjoy with his loved ones every blessing that flows therefrom, including the blessings of the temple’ (“Extending the Blessings of the Priesthood,” Ensign, June 2018).
1983 – The Atlanta Georgia Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley of the First Presidency.
1997 – The St. Louis Missouri Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley.
1999 – Changes to the Church’s musical organization went into effect combining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the newly organized Temple Square Chorale (formally the Mormon Youth Chorus), a training choir for the Tabernacle Choir, and The Orchestra at Temple Square (formerly the Mormon Youth Symphony), under one organization.
2000 – The Church’s Family History and Historical Departments were consolidated into one department: The Family and Church History Department.
2001 – After 17 years of extraction work, the 1880 U.S. Census, containing 50.5 million names, is released in a 56 CD ROM set. It is the first U.S. Census released in its complete format and is called the most significant family history product the Church has produced to date. Also, the sesquicentennial of the establishment of the first permanent settlement in what is now Nevada was celebrated in Genoa, Nevada. Originally called Mormon Station, it was established in 1851 by Church members as a trading post on the California Trail.
2002 – A computer database detailing the 1,800 members of the Church living in Kirtland, Ohio, from 1830-1838 is completed by members of the Oakton Virginia Stake. It can be viewed in the newly restored John Johnson Inn in Historic Kirtland.
2007 – Young Men General President Charles W. Dahlquist II was presented the Silver Buffalo Award from the Boy Scouts of America during their National Annual Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. The Silver Buffalo is Scouting’s highest commendation for service to youth.
2008 – The Curitiba Brazil Temple is dedicated by President Thomas S. Monson.
2011 – Descendants of Fredrick G. Williams gathered to dedicate the site where Zion’s Camp stopped near Jacksonville, Illinois, in 1834. Fredrick G. Williams had been assigned to identify campsites along the trail and he is credited for finding a suitable site for Zion’s Camp to stay 177 years ago near Jacksonville, Illinois.
2018 – A 90-minute event at the Conference Center on Temple Square that celebrated, through song, dance and the spoken word, the 40th anniversary of the Church’s June 1978 revelation that extended the blessings of the priesthood and the temple to all of God’s children everywhere in the world. The event was titled “Be One.’
No Comments yet!