1833 – Oliver Cowdery leaves Kirtland, Ohio, for New York to purchase a printing press to replace the Church’s press that had been destroyed by mobs in Jackson County, Missouri.
1834 – The Prophet Joseph records that the first half of October was spent furthering the work on the Kirtland Temple, “notwithstanding it was commenced almost with nothing, as to means, yet the way opened as we proceeded’ (History of the Church, 2:167).
1835 – The Prophet Joseph Smith, with Oliver Cowdery and W. W. Phelps, studies the Egyptian alphabet. During the study, “the principles of astronomy as understood by Father Abraham and the ancients unfolded to our understanding’ (History of the Church, 2:286).
1838 – The mob that had threatened the Saints in Daviess County had disbanded, bringing calm for a season there. However, they re-gathered outside of DeWitt and were threatening the Saints there. Also, the Kirtland Camp traveled twenty miles on this day, camping on the Brushy Fork of Shoal creek. They are now only a few miles from Far West, Missouri.
1842 – The Prophet Joseph records that he had a severe pain in his left side and was not able to be about much. Emma, who became ill a couple days earlier, continued sick. However, Joseph did meet with the Temple Committee to fully examine the financial records to insure the funds were being used properly.
1843 – The Prophet Joseph had a statement printed in the Times and Seasons requesting financial help for Elder George J. Adams who had been called on a mission to take the gospel Russia. (History of the Church, 6:41)
1845 – Brigham Young and the brethren met at Elder John Taylor’s home with General John J. Hardin, Stephen A. Douglas, W. B. Warren, and J. A. McDougal, known as the Quincy Committee, to discuss the removal of the Saints from Illinois. They requested the leadership of the Church to issue a statement of intent on when the Saints would leave so that they could report it to the people of the area and to the Governor of Illinois.
1861 – The first baptisms in the Netherlands take place near the village of Broek-Akkerwoude.
1913 – The Seagull Monument is dedicated by President Joseph F. Smith, commemorating the miracle of the gulls that ate the crickets threatening to destroy the crops of the Saints in the spring of 1848.
1914 – This month begins Spencer W. Kimballs service as a full-time missionary in the Central States Mission in the United States. He had been called to the Swiss-German Mission but was unable to go because of World War I.
1976 – All of the Assistants to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and all members of the First Council of Seventy are released and then called to the First Quorum of the Seventy during general conference.
1977 – The Church publishes A Topical Guide to the Scriptures of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It would later be included as a scripture study aid in the LDS edition of the Bible.
1978 – During October, the Church changes the name of the Language Training Mission (LTM) to the Missionary Training Center (MTC) and begins sending English speaking missionaries to the Provo, Utah, complex for training and the Salt Lake Mission Home, used since 1925, is closed.
1984 – The El Salvador San Salvador Mission is created.
1988 – President Ezra Taft Benson opens general conference with his challenge to flood the earth with the Book of Mormon.
2000 – The Boston Massachusetts Temple was dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It became the 100th operating temple in the Church just 2 ½ years after President Hinckley announced plans to have 100 temples in operation before the end of 2000.
No Comments yet!