Skip to main content

Reddick N. Allred

Question: Reddick N . Allred was one of the well known pioneers of Utah, active in Church, civil and military affairs. What part did he play in the rescue of the 1856 Handcart Companies?

Answer: Reddick Newton Allred was born (a twin) on 22 February 1822 in Bedford, Tennessee, to Isaac Allred and Mary Calvert. Shortly after the birth of their 10th child, Isaac moved his family to Monroe County, Missouri, and settled on the Salt River. It was here that Isaac Allred and his family, and some of the older married sons, settled and founded what was known as the “Allred Settlement.’

The Allred Settlement first heard the gospel in 1831 when Hyrum Smith, the brother of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and John Murdock preached to them. In 1832, George M. Hinkle, Daniel Cathcart, and James Johnson organized the Salt River Branch of the Church. Many of the Allred family joined the Church in 1832. Reddick and his twin brother, Reddin, were baptized in the spring of 1833 by John Ivie, local Elder, and President of the Branch.

The family remained in Monroe County from 1829 until 1835. During this period, however, the persecution became so great that the family moved to Clay County. The people there were so hostile that the family finally moved to Caldwell County. It was from Caldwell County that the family was finally forced to flee due to Governor Bogg’s extermination order. They settled in the spring of 1839 in Adams County, Illinois. They later moved to Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, in 1840.

Reddick was ordained an elder in Nauvoo, by Seymour Branson in 1840 and ordained a Seventy in 1842, when he also filled a preaching mission in Indiana. He lived with his parents in Nauvoo during the persecutions of the Saints there. He was well acquainted with the Prophet. As a young man, he watched both his father and his Uncle James engage in wrestling sport with the Prophet and Hyrum. The Prophet was in their home many times. While in Nauvoo, Reddick worked as a mason on the Nauvoo temple. He was later called on a mission, and labored in Cincinnati with Elder Andrew Lamoreaux and others. Reddick was a good singer, so he did much of the singing while Brother Lamoreaux did much of the preaching.

When Reddick was 21, he was married to Lucy Holt, daughter of James Hoyt and Beulah Sabin. They were married on November 26, 1843. Shortly thereafter Reddick went to Patriarch Hyrum Smith for his Patriarchal blessing, and among other things he promised him a long life. While in Nauvoo, Reddick and his brother Reddin were made members of the Fourth Quorum of Seventies.

When the Saints were forced to leave Nauvoo, Reddick, being without an outfit, drove a team for Y. Allen Taylor in the first company crossing the Mississippi River. He stayed with George Miller Company as far as Garden Grove, and then returned to assist his own folks, being gone about two months. His family in the meantime had moved over to the Iowa side.

Reddick, and his twin brother, Reddin, then enlisted in the Mormon Battalion and marched to California and back to Winters Quarters in 1846-47. He came to Utah in 1849 in the Allen Taylor Company. He was accompanied by his father, Isaac, and his family and his father-in-law and his family. They arrived in the Utah Valley on October 16, 1849.

From 1852-55 he filled a mission to the Hawaiian Islands, presiding part of the time over the Maui conference. He and his twin brother, Reddin, traveled to California, and after visiting the Saints in the Los Angeles area, they boarded a ship in San Francisco and sailed for the Hawaiian Islands to serve their mission.

In 1856 he went with others out to meet the stranded handcart companies. “On October 12, when Captain George Grant and the rescue party arrived at Fort Bridger, Wyoming, they still had not found the handcart companies, although they had fully expected to find them there or nearby. Captain Grant immediately sent express riders east to locate them. The rescue party continued on through South Pass, Wyoming, where Grant asked Reddick N. Allred to stay and establish a supply camp for rescuers as they traveled through the area. He left Allred with flour, cattle, 11 guards, and 4 wagons.

“On November 18, when the Martin company reached Reddick Allred’s supply camp just east of South Pass, Grant saluted him with “Hurrah for the bulldog, good for hanging on.’ The welcome supplies were distributed, and Allred joined the company. (Ensign, December 2006, Go and Bring Them In, by LaRene Porter Gaunt and Linda Dekker)

In 1856, he was ordained a high priest by Bishop Edward Hunter and set apart to act as a counselor in the Kaysville Bishopric. In 1857 he married Amelia J. McPherson and in 1861 he married Celestia W. Warwick. [By two of his wives, he became the father of 20 children and because of living in polygamy, he served a term of 60 days in the Utah penitentiary in 1888.]

      Reddodk N. Allred House - Spring City

In 1858 he located at Nephi, Juab County, remaining there one year; thence he removed to Spring City, Sanpete County, Utah, making his home there in the fall of 1859. From that time until his demise, he was a resident of Spring City and Chester. He took an active part in the Blackhawk War in Sanpete County and served as a Colonel in the Nauvoo Legion. In 1867 he was ordained a Bishop by President Canute Peterson and set apart to preside over the Chester Ward; he held that position for 10 years. Reddick also served as justice and postmaster in Spring City, served five terms in the Territorial legislature, and was a member of the first City Council in Spring City.

      William Seeley Home

In 1872, Reddick was involved in working with the Indians. “Several peace conferences with the Indians had been held in different settlements. A meeting was held at Mt. Pleasant, September 17, 1872, at which General Morrow, Apostle Orson Hyde, Bishop Amasa Tucker, Bishop Fredrick Olson, Bishop W. S. Seely, and Colonel Reddick Allred met at Mt. Pleasant with a great number of Indian Chiefs and braves, among whom were Tabiona, White Hare, Angizeble and others who were known to have encouraged depredations under Chief Black Hawk. The concluding peace treaty was signed at this time. That meeting was held at the home of William S. Seely.’

Reddick was ordained a patriarch by Apostle George Teasdale, May 15, 1898. In all his labors, his integrity to the truth, his humility and his obedience to proper authority were characteristic of his nature. He died in Chester, Utah, on October 10, 1905, leaving a numerous posterity. He was buried in the Spring City Cemetery in Spring City, Utah.

Source: Source:; Biographical Encyclopedia: A Compilation of Biographical Sketches of Prominent Men and Women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ by Andrew Jenson, Salt Lake City, UT; Reddick Newton Allred – Life Sketch, This copy made available through the courtesy of the National Society of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (excerpts),

No Comments yet!

Your Email address will not be published.